字词模式
句模式
段模式
系统设置
更多按钮
网址切换
保存状态
用户反馈
页面收藏
-AA+
牛津大学校园英语情景对话 03:金雀花时代的牛津

D: Mind if I join you?

D:我能加人吗?

YNot at all. Hi, I’m Yang Li.

Y:当然可以。嗨,我是杨丽。

D: Denise. Nice to meet you!

D:丹尼斯。很高兴认识你。

Y: Nice to meet you too! How long have you been in Beijing?

Y:我也很高兴认识你。你来北京多久了?

D: No more than half a year. I have just studied in Beijing for a semester.

D:不超过半年。我只在北京学习了一个学期。

Y: Ohdo you get used to living here?

Y:哦,你在这里生活还习惯吗?

D: I’m still easing into it. China’s like a different world, you know. Everything is so different from Britain.

D:我还在慢慢适应。你知道,中国就像个完全不同的世界。每样东西都跟英国 不一样。

Y: Whoa. You’re from Britain!

Y:哇。你来自英国呀!

D: Yeah! What’s wrong?

D:是啊!怎么了?

YGreat! I’m extremely interested in British history and culture. I’m now reading a book about British history, which refers to the Plantagenet House. Im totally confused! Could you please explain it to me?

Y:好极了!我对英国的历史和文化很感兴趣。我现在正在读一本有关英国历史 的书,里面提到了金雀花王朝,我完全糊涂了!你可以给我讲讲吗?

DOk. The Plantagenet House is a royal family of France and ruled the kingdom of England between 1154 and 1458. Though there are a great many monarchs at that time, you only need to know those influential monarchs, for example Henry IIRichard IJohn, Henry IIIEdward IEdward IIIRichard IIand so on.

D:没问题。金雀花王朝是法国王室家族,它在 1154? 1458年间统治着英格兰王国。虽然那时候的君主很多,不过你只需要知道一些影响力较大的就可以了, 比如:亨利二世、查理一世、约翰、亨利三世、爱德华一世、爱德华三世和査理二世等。

Y: It’s really a time of upheaval!

Y:真是动荡的时代啊!

D: Quite right. As thus, a distinctive English culture and art emerged during the sector Plantagenet era. Meanwhile, there were also lasting developments in the social sector, for instance, Magna Carta signed by John of England promoted the development of common law and constitutional law. Political institutions such as the Parliament of England and the Model Parliament originate from that period of time. Furthermore, world known universities like Oxford and Cambridge were founded at that time.

D:你说得很对。因此,别具一格的英国文化和艺术在金雀花时代诞生了。同 时,英国社会也得到了发展,那些发展影响深远,比如,约翰签署的《大宪 章》推动了普通法和宪法的发展。英国议会与国会的政治体制也源于那个时代。 而且,就连牛津和剑桥这样闻名世界的大学也是在那个时代建立起来的。

Y: Really? It is quite inconceivable that universities were established and developed during the era with eventful political climate.

Y:真的吗?在那种政局多变的年代,大学能够建立并发展是一件多么不可思议 的事情啊。

DActually, the Oxford University was founded accidentally. Originally, only teaching existed at Oxford. In 1167Henry II conflicted with his family in France because of territorywhich caused the scholars studying in the University of Paris back to England. Henry II encouraged these scholars to come to Oxford and continue their studies there. It was not until 1214 that Oxford was recognized as a university by the Church and the first Chancellor.

D:其实,牛津大学的建立纯属偶然。最初,只是有人在牛津教书。 1167年,亨利二世因为领土问题和他的法国家族发生冲突,那些在巴黎大学的英国学者们被迫回国。亨利二世鼓励这些人到牛津城继续他们的学业。直到 1214年,牛津大学才得到教会和第一大臣的认可。

Y: Ah, it seems that the patronage of Henry II played an extremely important role in the development of the Oxford University.

Y:啊,看来亨利二世的支持对牛津大学的发展起着极其重要的作用啊。

D: Absolutely! However, the locals and scholars couldnt get along with each other. There were friction and conflict between them frequently, leaving a couple of people dead.

D:绝对是这样!但是,当地人跟这些学者们却不能和睦相处。他们之间经常有 摩擦和冲突,也因此死了好多人。

Y: Why couldnt they live together harmoniously?

Y:他们为什么不能和睦相处呢?

D: Maybe for different habits. At first, many students lodged with the townspeople, which produced some unavoidable contraventions. Later, as the establishment of halls of residence and colleges, the problem was solved.

D:习惯不同吧。一开始,很多学生在市民家里害宿,这就不可避免地产生了矛盾。

Y: Well, hadnt the turbulent political situation threatened the University? Take the Hundred YearsWar for an example, which was motivated by Edward III.

后来,牛津大学建起了学生宿舍和学院,问题也就迎刃而解了。

D: How to say... There must be influence, but not fatal. Did you hear of All Soul College of Oxford?

Y:那动荡的政局设有对牛津大学造成威胁吗?比如,爱德华三世发动的百年战争。 D:怎么说呢……影响肯定是有的,但不是致命的。你听说过牛津大学的众灵学 院吗?

Y: Yes, I did. What’s up?

Y:嗯,我听过。怎么了?

D: One of its tasks is to pray usually for soldiers killed in the Hundred YearsWar.

D:它的职责之一就是经常为百年战争中阵亡的战士做弥撒,并为他们祈祷。

YI see. Thanks very much for your explanation.

Y:我明白了。非常感谢你为我荅疑解惑。

D: My pleasure!

D:不客气!