字词模式
句模式
段模式
系统设置
更多按钮
网址切换
保存状态
用户反馈
页面收藏
-AA+
走进世界名校 - - -耶鲁大学校园英语情景对话系列,第 19课,比尔克林顿,

JHeywhat’s new on the newspaper?

J:报纸上有什么新鲜事儿吗?

KWell, here according to Time magazine’s annual list, Lady Gaga, Bill Clinton and Brazil’s leader Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva are the world’s most influential people.

K:嗯,美国《时代》杂志年度最具影响力人物排行榜日前揭晓了, Lady Gaga、比尔克林顿和巴西总统路易斯伊纳西奧卢拉达席尔瓦名列各板块之首。

JWho is Lady Gaga?

JLady Gaga是谁?

KYou dont know her?

K:你不知道她?

JNope. I have no idea.

J:不知道。

K: You are terribly out! Lady Gaga is an American singer, famous for her bizarre costumes and chart-topping dance music. She is now very hot.

K:你太落伍了! Lady Gaga是位美国歌手,以奋装异服和高居榜首的舞曲而著称。 现在非常火的!

JThen she must be the most influential artist.

J:那她一定是"最具影响力艺人”单元的第一名啰。

K:  That’s right. Clinton heads  theheroes”  section, and theleaderslist starts with the Brazilian president.

K:对。克林顿领跑最具影响力"英雄人物”单元,巴西总统是最具影响力的"领导者”。

JWhat’s the reason for the Brazilian president to be the most influential leader? By the way, would you please read his name again?

J:巴西总统获选最具影响力”领导者”的理由是什么?对了,你再读一遍,他的名 字是什么夹着?

K: Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva. He ispraised for his drive to bring social justice and end deep inequality in his huge Latin American country.

K:路易斯伊纳西奥卢拉达席尔瓦。他"一直致力于为他那幅员辽阔的拉美国家(巴 西)带来社会公平。

JWell. Where is the American President Obama? I thought they would have chosen their president.

J:哦。那美国总统奧巴马排在第几?我原以为美国的杂志会把本国总统放在第一名 呢。

K:  Obama is only in the fourth slot.

K:奥巴马只排第四。

J:  Surprising choice, isnt it? Obamais the best known name all around the world.

J:很出人意料,是吧?"奥巴马"是全世界知名度最高的名字。

KI dont think so. If take popularity as the only selecting standard, then theleaderslist should always begin with an American president since America is the most influential country.

K:我不这么想。要是把知名度作为惟一的评选标准,那么,美国是世界上最具影响 力的国家,它的总统每年都要高居榜首了。

JNope. Maybe in several years, the list will always begin with a Chinese name.

J:不对。兴许几年以后,这个榜单每年都会以一个中国人开头呢。

K: You are joking, too. As managing editor Richard Stengel says here,“ Some of the people youll encounter on this list are influential in the traditional sense... But we also seek out people whose ideas and actions are revolutionizing their fields and transforming lives.By the way, here comes a Chinese name! J. T. Wang. He is the CEO of the Taiwanese PC maker Acer, and comes in at number two as a representative of the rise of Asian companies.

K:你真会开玩笑。这里写的,《时代》固刊主编理査德斯坦格尔说:"上榜者中的 有些人具有传统意义上的影响力,同时我们也在寻找那些用自己的理念和行动为 各自的领域和生活带来变革的人物。”对了,这里有个中国人!王振堂。他是台湾电脑生产商宏基公司的首席执行官,位居该单元第二,是亚洲公司飞速发展的 典型代表。

J:  That’s cool! I’m using an Acer laptop.

j'酷毙了。我用的就是宏基的笔记本。

KWhy arent you surprised at choosing Clinton as the most influential hero?

K:克林顿当选最具影响力的英雄人物,你怎么不感到吃惊呢?

JWhy should I?

J:为什么要吃惊?

KI'm wondering how he could be called ahero”. Since he left the White House, I hardly took notice of him.

K:我在想,他为什么被称为“英雄”呢?自从他不当总统,我对他关注得很少。

JAfter that, he has done lots of things.

J:卸任之后,他做过很多事情啊。

KI know he lectured widely and has released his autobiography My Life.

K:我知道,他到处做演讲,还出版了一部自传叫《我的生活》。

JYeah. Still I remember his words while talking about his decision for future career. It touched me so much.

J:是的。我还记得他谈到选择自己未来职业时说过的话。真是深深打动了我。

KWhich part? I have no idea about that.

K:哪个部分?我没有印象了。

JYou know Clinton has broad interestsespecially loves music, and is good at playing the saxophone?

J:你知道克林顿兴趣广泛,尤其喜欢音乐,还擅长演奏萨克斯吧?

K: Yeah. I heard that he won first chair in Arkansas brass band’s saxophone section.

K:知道。据说他还曾经担任阿肯色州管乐队首席萨克斯演奏员呢。

JExactly. In his book, Clinton said,“ Sometime in my sixteenth year I decided I wanted to be in public life as an elected official. I loved music and thought I could be very good, but I knew I would never be John Coltrane or  Stan Getz. I was  interested  in  medicine and thought I could be a fine doctor, but I knew  I would never be  Michael DeBakey.  But I knew I could be great in public service.

J:对。克林顿在书中写道,"在我 16岁那年的某个时候,我决定将以当选官员的身份进入公共生活。我喜欢音乐,也觉得自己会很出色,但我知道我永远都成不了 约翰科尔特兰或者斯坦盖茨。我对医学感兴趣,自认为可以成为一名好医生, 但我知道我永远都成不了迈克德贝基。然而,我知道,我可以在公共服务领域 出类拔萃。"

KWow, you recited it! What a good memory you have!

K:哇!你都背下来了!记忆力真好!

JThanks. Whenever I come across something I like, Id try to recite it.

J:谢谢。遇到喜欢的东西,我就会试着背下来。

KHe seems to be your idol.

K:看来,他是你的偶像。

JWell, I do think he is a great guy. You know, he was born in a poor family, and had grown to be a wellknown public figure. As a little boy, he knew exactly how to make decisions. I do admire his ambition.

J:哦,我确实觉得他是个了不起的人。要知道,克林顿出身于贫苦家庭,却成长为 一个人尽皆知的公众人物。当他还是个小男孩的时候,就已经很清楚该如何抉择。 我真佩服他的雄心。

KI agree. I have to say on his road to success, Hillary Clinton has always been his right hand.

K:这我同意。不得不说,在他走向成功的道路上,希拉里一直是他的得力助手。

JThey were the best partner at Yale Law School.

J:他们在耶鲁法学院的时候就已经是最好的搭档了。

KDid they go to the same University?

K:他们是校友吗?

J:  You dont know that? It has been passed to be a  much-told story.

J:你不知道吗?他们的故事都已经被传遍了。

KGive me the low-down.

K:愿闻其详。

JIt’s my turn to sayYou are out”! Both of them were law students at Yale. Hillary was a year ahead of Clinton. She noticed him when he boasted that Arkansashas the biggest watermelons in the world.

J:该我说你落伍了!他们都是耶鲁法律系的学生。希拉里比克林顿早一届。她开始 注意他是有一次克林顿在那儿吹嘘他的家乡生产“世界上最大的西瓜。

KIs that true?

K:是真的吗?

JI dont know. Clinton was also deeply attracted by Hillary but dared not to talk to herso he often followed her.

J:我不知道。同时,克林顿也被希拉里深深吸引了,但是又不敢同她说话,就经常尾随她。

KThen what happened?

K:后来呢?

JIt was in the law library, Clinton kept staring at Hillary until she is at the end of her rope ' Then Hillary approached Bill and said,“ Lookif you're going to keep staring at me, and I’m going to keep staring back, I think we should at least know each other. I’m Hillary Rodham. What’s your name?

J:有一次,在法学院图书馆,克林顿一直盯着希拉里看,直到希拉里忍无可忍了,就走过来对他说:“瞧,如果你打算一直盯着我,我也要回叮你。我想,我们至 少应该互相认识一下,我叫希拉里,你叫什么名字?

KHow did Clinton respond?

K:克林顿有什么反应?

JThe talkative young man was so embarrassed that he was frozen there, racking his brains to recall his own name but failed.

J:这个平时夸夸其谈的小伙子窘得呆站在那里,绞尽脑汁却想不起来自己叫什么名字。

K: Ha ha, it’s so funny.

K:哈哈。太有意思了。