One day, an old beggar went to the village. He knocked at the door of a rich man to beg for food.
一天,一个老乞丐来到一个村子里。他敲开了一个富人家的门,想跟他讨点儿吃的。
This was a big house and at the side was built a granary with a big padlock.
一这是一个大房子,旁边有一个很大的粮仓,粮仓门上挂着一把大铁锁。
The owner of the house was a miser and he was known for never helping anyone.
可是,这户人家的主人是个出了名的窖啬鬼,他从来不肯帮助别人。
The beggar was aware of his reputation but still pleaded:" Will you give me a bit of butter or milk?"
乞丐也知道这个吝啬鬼的狼藉名声,但还是乞求他:“您能不能给我一点黄油或牛奶?”
The miser said impatiently," No! Go away at once."
吝啬鬼不耐烦地说:“不行,快给我滚开!”
" Perhaps you can sweep out for me a bit of grain or beans."
“或许,您能给我扫出一把麦子或黄豆。”
The hungry beggar continued," There isn't anything in my house, how about a little bit of bread?"
饥饿的乞丐又说道,“家里什么也没有,那就请您给我一小块面包吧?”
The beggar insisted. " Only a mouthful of food and I will be very grateful. "
乞丐坚持到,“哪怕是给我一口饭吃,我都会对您感激不尽的。”
" Go away! I don't have bread! "
“我没有面包。”
" How about some water? I am thirsty".
那给我一口水喝吧,我太渴了!”
" I don't have water."
“我没有水。”
The beggar then said sadly to him," My friend, why are you here? You should go to some kind-hearted folk to beg for food because you arc) poorer than anybody eIse. "
然后,乞丐悲哀地对他说:“我的朋友,那你还呆在这里干什么?你应该去找一些善良的人们讨些饭吃吧,因为你比谁都穷!”